Sunday, November 20, 2016

You make me so funny

Oh, my kid.

She turns 5 years old in just under 2 months. Her sense of humor is exploding and I love it. I've noticed that, developmentally, things happen in big bursts with her. Maybe that's all kids. There have been spurts when I've seen her sense of humor blossom before and I'm thrilled to see it happen again. Partly because it's so cool but also because there's nothing better than hearing her laugh.

Today we were at the park. It was 29 degrees and she was bundled the most she's been bundled yet this winter. (I admit, it's difficult getting used to the extra bulk again!) She was trying to climb this rope jungle-gym thing, and she went to raise her foot to the next rope up and with her extra bulk she couldn't lift her leg high enough, she was about 3 inches short. She tried once. Breathy chuckle. Tried again. Bubbly giggle. Tried again and didn't get any closer than her previous 2 attempts and she began to giggle so hard, I was nervous she would lose her grip and fall. I cannot fully express my delight in seeing her laugh at herself (especially at something she "failed"). I cracked up too, mostly because it was comical to see her see the humor in herself. So deliciously awesome.

In addition to those kinds of moments (there have been plenty the last week or two), she is highly conscious of the effect she has on making me laugh. I have to be careful to not laugh when she's not trying to make me laugh; which is difficult because she's naturally a super funny kid. But if she isn't trying to make me laugh, and I laugh, she gets self conscious and feels I'm laughing at her in a mocking way. We've been working on this and I've tried to explain how these situations work. She's beginning to get it now. It's so fun to be her mom.

(When she was littler she mixed up the words "funny" and "laugh." Occasionally she still does.
So instead of saying "you make me laugh" she would say "you make me funny," which is even better, I think. Another post on all the words she's used or gotten mixed up that have sent my heart aflutter.)

1 comment:

Rose said...

Reading about your Ruby always makes me feel happy. Glad you're back and glad your writing schedule is as varied as mine. :) Nonconformist writers rule.