Ruby and I were snuggling at bedtime last night, soft voices in the dark of her bedroom. Her head was craddled under my chin when this happened:
R: I love you even when I am tired and crabby.
M: I love you even when I get mad that you left your stinky socks in the living room again.
R: >soft giggles< I love you because you snuggle me and make me feel so loved.
M: I love you because of your gigantic heart... I also love that you made me a mom. Do you realize that? You're the only person in the world who gets that claim: you made me a mom.
R: What?!
M: Yeah, isn't that cool? Being your mom has been my favorite. It's a tough job but I love it so much.
R: Job?
M: Well, it's a lot of work sometimes. But I have more fun with you than anyone else in the world.
R: It's a tough job when your 5 year old doesn't put her socks away...
M: >laughed< Yes.
R: It's a tough job when your 5 year old is tired and crabby and complains about supper.
M: >laughed again< Yes, but what other job in the world makes me laugh as much as you? What other job in the world is as much fun as you? Or as sweet and kind and loving as you? None. Sure, being a mom is hard once in a while, but I love you always - even through the hard bits. That's not something I'd ever trade. I'm so glad God picked me to be your mom.
R: Me too. You're the perfect mom for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment