Monday, October 6, 2008

I am a galley slave to pen and ink

A very intelligent man, who I respect endlessly, told me this weekend, "The only way to get better at writing is to keep doing it. Practice makes perfect."

That actually stunned me a bit. I often fail to write insane stories that pop into my head when I'm just about to nod off to sleep, or the lyrics I sing to myself in the shower because it just doesn't seem that good. Why waste the paper? Why waste the blog space that could be used for something truly inspiring, like lyrics FAMOUS people have written...

Yet other times, after I haven't written anything for so long, it's like my mind vomits. I wake up at 2:30 a.m. with all these poetic verses swimming in my head, and hopefully by the time I turn on the lamp, find a paper and pen, they haven't vanished. Other times, my emotional wheelbarrow tips over, and there is no other way to put things back to order unless I write. Yet, it never seems good enough. Like, why would people care what I have to write? I look at people who can write - Dooce, Dad Gone Mad, Hemingway, Dybek... and they have this way that captivates the mind and soul. When I read certain things, I stop existing. I am so in tune to the book or blog or article that I am not even aware that I'm being. How do they do that?

I've decided to write more. Anything and everything. Grocery lists, fun words, thoughts, wishes, dreams, everything. If I find something good enough, I'll post it here.

(Quote by Honore de Balzac)

1 comment:

Terp'n said...

I cannot wait to read about the things that twirl around in your head. You have an amazing gift, Heidi!